Highmark Foundation releases 2016 annual giving report
April 13, 2017 | PITTSBURGH, Pa.
PITTSBURGH (April 13, 2017) The Highmark Foundation has released its 2016 annual giving report: Getting Health Right: Now and for the Future. The report details the impact of the nearly $3 million in funding in 2016 to support initiatives that educate and improve the overall well-being of the communities served by Highmark Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
"In 2016, we strengthened our mission by funding strategic and evidence-based initiatives that focused on some of the most critical public health concerns facing our communities," said Highmark Foundation President Yvonne Cook. "By awarding high-impact grants to charitable organizations, hospitals and schools that advance community health, our grantmaking supported organizations that serve those most in need."
Highlights from the report:
- To help build capacity and infrastructure, improve cultural competency and advance quality improvement, the Highmark Foundation awarded $412,450 in grants to health departments in Allegheny, Erie, Lehigh, Luzerne, Northampton and York Counties.
- Recognizing community organizations’ roles in meeting the population’s health needs, three community development corporations (CDCs) in Western Pennsylvania each received $25,000 planning grants from the Highmark Foundation to improve the overall health in their respective communities.
- Through its partnership with axial Healthcare, the Highmark Foundation hosted a forum that convened key community stakeholders to discuss potential solutions and best practices to address the opioid epidemic in West Virginia.
- Mission of Mercy received a $30,000 grant from the Highmark Foundation to strengthen its efforts to reach uninsured and underinsured urban and rural residents in Gettysburg and Harrisburg, Pa. through its mobile health care program.
- The Highmark Foundation awarded more than $450,000 in grants to improve health outcomes for children in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, including access to the HPV vaccine, healthy school environment grants, school-based preventive health screenings, grants to school nurses and supportive grants to underserved schools to meet students’ health needs.
The full report is available online.
About the Highmark Foundation
The Highmark Foundation is a private, charitable organization of Highmark Inc. that supports initiatives and programs aimed at improving community health. The Foundation's mission is to improve the health, well-being and quality of life for individuals who reside in the communities served by Highmark Inc. The Foundation strives to support evidence-based programs that impact multiple counties and work collaboratively to leverage additional funding to achieve replicable models. For more information, visit www.highmarkfoundation.org.